The best time to visit Galapagos Islands depends on what you want to do in the archipelago.
Some are interested in wildlife, while others in marine wildlife.
What is important to know is that the climate of the islands influences the activity of the fauna and flora, and what can be appreciated.
Although any time is ideal to visit Galapagos, in this post we wil cover what happens in the islands every month, so you can decide which is the best time to travel to Galapagos according to your needs.
Before continuing, please read the following: Weather in the Galapagos Islands
When is the best time of year to visit the Galapagos?
We have listed the islands’ events according to their seasons based on a three-monthly basis.
January, February and March
- These months mark the hot and rainy season in the islands, when the highest air and sea temperatures of the archipelago are reached.
- The sun is strong, as well as the humidity, and the island begins to bloom.
- Land animals are more visible since it is the time of courtship, reproduction and nesting.
- Hatching time for the eggs of the giant Galapagos tortoises.
- The sea is calm and with greater visibility, but less marine life.
- Ideal time for cruise tours, since the sea is not as rough (you won’t get too seasick).
- We highly recommend the use of sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat and even a long-sleeved shirt.
April, May and June
- April and May are the months of transition from one season to another, where the heat begins to drop as well as the sea temperature.
- Between March and April is the frigate birds’ courtship season, where you will be able to appreciate their well known red inflated sac.
- By June the cold season in the Galapagos is established, in which the heavy rains decrease and short drizzles begin.
July, August and September
- These are the coldest months, with stronger winds and rougher seas.
- If you plan daily inter-island tours during these months, or cruise tours, I recommend you to have sea sickness pills.
- July and August are considered the high season in Galapagos (there are more foreign tourists).
- It is the best time for diving, snorkeling and even surfing.
- It is also humpback whale season.
- If you are going to dive or do any water sport, it is recommended to wear a wetsuit.
October, November and December
- October is still cold and ideal for diving.
- In November the temperature starts to rise a bit, but it is still warm.
- In November you will also see a lot of baby sea lions on the beaches, especially in San Cristobal.
- October and November are considered the low season in Galapagos (you will find cheaper flights).
- In December temperatures rise even more, ushering in the rainy season in the Galapagos Islands.
When is it more expensive and cheaper to visit the Galapagos Islands?
This is another factor to consider.
Traveling to Galapagos costs more than traveling to mainland Ecuador.
This is due to the fact that product prices are higher as everything must be imported from the mainland.
However, there are two distinct periods in which travel prices go up or down.
The high season in the Galapagos Islands is from June to August, since this is the time when foreign tourists visit the islands the most.
During this time it is more expensive to travel to Galapagos.
The same happens during holidays in Ecuador, which brings many residents to the Islands.
The low season in Galapagos is between October and November. During these months it is cheaper to travel to Galapagos.
So you can also consider these seasons to plan your trip to the archipelago.
Also read: Flights to Galapagos Islands
*Cover photo by Tim McDougal